یکی از گرامرهای ساده در زبان انگلیسی، تناسب میان فاعل و فعل آن است که باید از نظر شخص و شمار باهم متناسب باشند. با این وجود یکی از رایجترین غلط ها در گرامر آیلتس همین agreement میان subject and verb است. در اینجا قصد نداریم راجع به بدیهیات (مانند اول شخص یا سوم شخص صحبت) کنیم. چند نکته را مرور میکنیم که ممکن است برایتان تازه باشد.
- When two subjects are joined by ‘and’, the verb is plural.
- When two singular nouns joined by ‘and’ refer to the same person or thing, the verb is singular.
- Indefinite pronouns (everyone, each one, someone, somebody, no one, nobody, anyone, anybody etc.) are always singular.
- When the percentage or a part of something is mentioned with plural meaning the plural verb is used.
- When the subjects joined by ‘either or’ or ‘neither nor’ are of different persons, the verb will agree in person and number with the noun nearest to it.
- If connectives/appositives like along with, together with, as well as, accompanied by etc. are used to combine two subjects, the verb agrees with the subject mentioned first.
- ‘A number of (some countable noun)’ is always plural. ‘The number of (some countable noun)’ is always singular.
- The singular verb form is usually used for units of measurement or time.
- When any of ‘few, many, several, both, all, some’ is used with a countable noun, the verb is plural.
- When any of ‘few, many, several, both, all, some’ is used with an uncountable noun, the verb is singular.
چند مثال زیر را بخوانید. سعی کنید تشخیص دهید هرکدام مربوط به کدام یک از قواعد گرامری بالا می شود:
- Some milk is spoilt.
- My friend and his mother are in town.
- 40 of every 100 children are malnourished.
- Mr. Ram, accompanied by his wife Sita and his brother, was banished to the forest.
- Neither you nor your dogs know how to behave.
- Some men are needed for the battle.
- A number of students are going on the trip.
- Everyone is selfish.
- The captain and coach of the team has been sacked.
- Five gallons of oil was required to get the engine running.
مطالب زیر نیز ممکن است کمک کننده باشد: