10 اصطلاح میوه ای که باید بدانید!
1. Second banana
Meaning: A “second banana” is a subordinate, and the “top banana” is the leader.
E.g. I generally don’t mind playing second banana when I’m with such a legendary comedian, but it would be nice to be the one getting all the laughs once in a while.
2. Go bananas
- Meaning: To become very angry, crazy or annoyed
- E.g. She’ll go bananas if she sees the house in this (dirty) condition.
3. A bite at the cherry
- Meaning: An opportunity to achieve something:
- E.g. He definitely wants a bite of the cherry.
4. Not give a fig
- Meaning: Not to feel interested in something
- E.g. You can do what you want. I don’t give a fig.
5. Apples and oranges
- Meaning: To be different from each other
- E.g. My mom and my mother-in-law are just apples and oranges.
- Meaning: A vehicle that does not work properly
- E.g. The car dealer sold me a lemon.
- Meaning: A person or thing that is beautiful
- E.g. You brought me coffee? Ah, you’re a peach.
8. Go pear-shaped
- Meaning: To fail; to be unsuccessful
- E.g. What are we going to do this weekend if our plans go pear-shaped?
9. A plum job
- Meaning: Very good job
- E.g. He got a plum job in an insurance company.
10. The apple never falls far from the tree
- Meaning: To say that “the apple never falls far from the tree” is to suggest that a person’s personality traits are close to those of the person’s parents.
- E.g. Her daughter soon showed her own musical talent, proving that the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.